I’m off for the next couple of weeks, and today I’m out of the house, spending time at Panera while “the ladies” do their twice-monthly thing. It seems the clientele here this time of day is older than I’m used to seeing in the evenings, but there are plenty of people using laptops and taking advantage of the free Wi-Fi. One guy has a small monitor and full-size keyboard set up with a dock; pretty serious gear.
No doubt more than a few are unemployed or between jobs. Several are chatting with each other as if they’re regulars. Me, I’m just hoping to avoid the one chatterbox that seemed to be going from table to table asking people about mining disasters, as she seems to be both obsessed with the story from West Virginia, and a little loopy.
I’m set up with headphones so I can listen to NPR; currently connected to the KUNC.org website catching up on this morning’s news, as I slept through WBEZ’s broadcast for the most part.
Cinnamon Raisin French Toast
Our Cinnamon Raisin bread makes fabulous French toast.
8 slices 1/2″ thick PaneraÂ® Cinnamon Raisin Bread
4 T. melted butter
3/4 c milk
1/2 c heavy cream
3 large eggs
1 T. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1. For the French Toast custard, combine using a hand whisk the milk, heavy cream, eggs, honey, vanilla extract and the salt. This custard can be made well in advance. Give a brisk stir before making the toast.
2. Transfer the custard to a casserole or open shallow dish for dipping.
3. Dip one slice into the custard and turn over after about 15 seconds. Transfer the slice to a plate while dipping another slice into the custard.
4. Place a large skillet on a medium fire. Allow the pan to heat thoroughly before pouring 1 Tablespoon of the melted butter into the pan.
5. Place both slices carefully into the skillet and cook on each side until golden brown or about 2 minutes.
6. Repeat steps 3ï¿½5 until all the French toast is cooked.
7. An optional step is to place each finished French toast onto a baking sheet in a preheated oven until all are ready to serve.
Serve warm with real maple syrup. Serves 4.